2017-2018 Graduate Bulletin

Dual Undergraduate-Graduate Degree Program


A Dual Undergraduate-Graduate Degree Program is an institutionally approved program in which a DU undergraduate student begins taking classes toward a graduate degree program prior to earning a baccalaureate degree. Both degrees must be earned within five years of matriculation into the undergraduate degree program. Students pursuing a dual degree with a Juris Doctorate must earn both degrees within six years.

The programs may reduce a limited number of both undergraduate and graduate credit hours toward both degrees.

The amount of the credit hour reduction is variable across programs. To be admitted, a student’s academic progress must demonstrate that the requirements of the program can be completed within the set time-frame.

Undergraduates still need to meet all normal core, major, minor and total credit hour requirements of their respective majors and minors before receiving the undergraduate degree. Graduate coursework is usually taken during the undergraduate “senior” year. Students should be admitted to the dual undergraduate-graduate program before taking graduate courses since undergraduate students generally may not take graduate courses. Usually, no more than 30 hours of electives may be used in the senior year to begin the graduate/professional program. Only graduate credit may be counted for the graduate degree. The total number of credit hours required varies by department. All requirements of the graduate or professional program need to be completed before receiving the advanced degree.

  • For students enrolled in a dual degree program, the University will award the undergraduate degree at the time it is earned.

  • As a dual-degree student, you are considered an undergraduate until you have fulfilled your undergraduate degree requirements, and should file your FAFSA and CSS PROFILE as an undergrad. Once you complete your undergraduate degree requirements, you are considered a graduate student. Federal loan eligibility will increase for most students because of the higher graduate student borrowing maximum and scholarship merit based aid will be decided and awarded by their graduate unit. If you have specific questions about how your financial aid may be affected, please contact the graduate academic program or the Office of Financial Aid for information. Dual undergraduate-graduate students who matriculated into the undergraduate degree 2012 and earlier will continue to receive the undergraduate financial aid award level in the 5th year. In addition, Boettcher and Daniels Fund scholars in a dual undergraduate-graduate degree  will continue to receive the undergraduate financial aid award level in the 5th year.   

  • Upon completion of the undergraduate degree federal loan eligibility will actually increase for most students because of the higher graduate student borrowing maximum.

  • A student who chooses not to continue on for the graduate degree may count the graduate courses, if approved as relevant by the advisor, toward the undergraduate degree (Students should visit the appropriate college or school for opt-out options and requirements).

  • Students enrolled in the dual undergraduate-graduate program who have been awarded the BA/BS degree, completed all required coursework and are working on a thesis may be eligible to enroll in graduate continuous enrollment.

Dual Undergraduate-Graduate Admission and Records Procedures

The following must be followed consistently and accurately:

  • Students are admitted to dual undergraduate-graduate degree programs by the graduate admission unit. The graduate unit follows all normal admission procedures and the student must meet all admission criteria for the graduate program other than receipt of the baccalaureate degree. Students should be admitted to the dual undergraduate-graduate program as early as practical for financial aid and other reasons. They must be admitted to the dual undergraduate-graduate program by the start of the first term that the student reaches senior standing (135 earned credits).
  • The effective term for admission should be the term in which the student is permitted to take graduate courses. For example, if the student’s senior year begins in the fall and the student meets admission criteria and may begin taking graduate courses in the subsequent spring term, the admission term should be that spring.
  • Graduate units are responsible for assuring that the student information is accurate.

Note: A student who receives a bachelor’s degree and was not previously enrolled in a dual undergraduate-graduate program is not eligible to return and enroll in a graduate program and reduce the number of credit hours for the graduate degree. 

Back to Top