2023-2024 Undergraduate Bulletin

Transfer of Credit

University of Denver Undergraduate Transfer of Credit Policy


The University ensures that transparency in our policies exists for our students and those who administer these policies, allowing for consistent interpretation and applica­tion throughout the institution and, as new types of learning opportunities emerge, allowing for responsiveness on the part of the University in a changing educational environment.


Three general factors affect the transferability of credits: the subject matter, the institution where the credits were earned and the course grade.

Subject Matter

Usually, courses taken in baccalaureate disciplines taught at the University of Denver are readily transferable. Credits from professional programs will be examined on a course-by-course basis and are often transferable. In general, courses in vocational or occupational subjects are not transferable. Finally, applicability to the degree for which a student is a candidate and comparability to an existing University of Denver course may be used as factors for the acceptance or denial of transfer credit.

Transferring Institution

Domestic Institutions

Credit will be considered for courses taken at institutions that are accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Credits are more readily accepted from a collegiate institution with regional accreditation although credits earned at a collegiate institution with national or special accreditation will also be considered. Credits that meet the subject matter requirements will be considered on a course-by-course basis when earned at an institution lacking regional accreditation. Institutions that have been granted official candidacy status by a regional accrediting association will be accorded like treatment to those that are fully accredited.

Foreign Institutions

Credit will be considered for courses taken at foreign insti­tutions that are formally recognized as an institution of higher education by a given country’s Ministry of Educa­tion. The same general parameters apply for course content and grades as they do for U.S. credit consideration.

Two-Year Institutions

Credit from two-year institutions generally is considered lower division. Advanced courses from two-year institutions are considered upper division when validated by the appropriate departments. The maximum credit that may be accepted from a two-year institution is 96 quarter hours.

Study Abroad

Credit earned within non-DU study abroad programs is treated as transfer credit.

Credit for Prior Learning

Military Courses

Military courses documented through Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS), Form DD 295, “Application for the Evaluation of Learning Experiences During Military Service,” or DD Form 214, “Armed Forces of the United States Report of Transfer or Discharge,” may be eligible for consideration in the evalua­tion process. Military courses must be validated by the department with which the subject matter is most closely aligned. A maximum of 10 credits can be awarded for military courses.

Workplace Learning & Credentials

Prior learning assessment of work-based credentials and education programs, defined as an industry credential, technical certificate, or professional license. Prior learning assessment must be applicable to an academic discipline taught at DU. In order to assess workplace learning and credentials for college credit, the University will require a copy of the credential/license/certificate, a syllabus or equivalent from the program, and instructor credentials. The University will also consider transcripts from the American Council on Education (ACE) and their credit recommendations. Workplace learning will be assessed by DU faculty and does not require standard grades to be reported. Students can be awarded up to 10 credits towards their program through workplace learning & credentials.

Credit by Examination

College credit can be awarded for AP, IB, and CLEP examinations. Minimum test scores, course equivalencies, and credit recommendations are made by academic departments. A maximum of 45 quarter hours can be awarded for all AP and IB credit and a maximum of 10 hours can be awarded for CLEP exams.

Course Grades

Only courses where a grade of C- (1.7 on a 4-point scale) or better was earned will be eligible for transfer. Transfer grades are not included in a student's DU GPA, and transfer credits cannot be used to reduce DU grade-point deficiencies.

Credit earned as pass/fail can be transferred only as elective credit. This credit does not apply to specific degree requirements other than total hours for graduation, and the University must determine that "P" (pass) equals 1.7 (C-) or better performance.

Instructional Methodologies

Online courses and those offered electronically are not categorically restricted, but they may be refused based on instruction methodologies not equivalent to those at the University of Denver.

Maximum Transfer Hours and Residency Requirements

The following specific transfer guidelines regarding residency and maximum transfer hours apply:

  • A maximum of 135 quarter hours of credit may be trans­ferred.
  • The final 45 credits must be earned at the University of Denver.
  • For students studying for one or more terms in an approved study abroad program, the residency require­ment is waived.
  • At least 50 percent of the required credits for the major and the minor must be completed at the University of Denver.
  • At least 50 percent of required business credits for undergraduate business degrees must be completed at the University of Denver.

Authority and Course Equivalencies

Initial transferability decisions are made by the Office of the Registrar. Approval of transfer applies toward the overall credit needed to meet degree requirements and does not necessarily guarantee or result in equivalency with specific University courses or requirements. Transfer credit appeals may be made through departmental chairs. Final authority for transfer credit and determination of course equivalency rests with the appropriate academic department.

Transfer of Credit by Continuing Students


Continuing students must receive approval in advance for transfer credit. 

Concurrent Registration

Students may not enroll at the University of Denver and other institutions concurrently without prior permission.

Articulation Agreements

The University of Denver may enter into transfer articula­tion agreements with other institutions as deemed mutually beneficial. Such agreements are administered by the Office of the Registrar. Transfer articulation agreements will include transfer course guides. The University of Denver may establish transfer course guides independent of formal articulation agreements.

Determination of Quarter Hour Equivalent Value Assigned

University transfer credit hour values are based on the credit hour value assigned by the originating institution. If the academic calendar of the originating institution is other than the quarter system, the appropriate conversion of the assessed credit hours of coursework will take place based on the calendar of the originating institution and the formula for converting them to quarter credit hours. While semester hours are multiplied by 1.5 to convert them to quarter hours, other formulae are used for the conversion when the originating institution is not on a standard, quarter/semester calendar. Conversion of the assessed credit hours from institutions on calendars other than a quarter calendar may result in conversions other than whole quar­ter credits (e.g., 3 semester credits is the equivalent of 4.5 quarter credits); conversions are not rounded up or down.

Requests for Transfer Transcript

Students must request that official transcripts be delivered directly from other institutions to the Office of the Registrar. All transcripts must be received in an official sealed envelope or through a secure electronic sending agency. Student will be notified after transcripts have been processed.

Transfer and International Education Reporting System

The University of Denver’s Transfer and International Education Reporting System (TIERS) allows students to access a list of approved transfer and study abroad courses. Courses that do not appear in the system are not necessarily unacceptable for transfer. Courses will continue to be added as new ones are evaluated and equivalents determined. You can access TIERS through MyDU under Student Tools and then Records and Requests.

For more information regarding how to utilize the TIERS system for study abroad, please see this page:


Back to Top