2023-2024 Graduate Bulletin

Additional Standards for International Applicants

Applicants will be considered international for admission purposes if one of the following statements applies to them:

  • The applicant is not a United States national, permanent resident, or citizen.
  • The applicant does not hold dual citizenship with the United States and another country.
  • The applicant is currently in the United States on an F-1 or J-1 student visa.
  • The applicant resides in the United States and holds a non-immigrant visa.

To maintain legal immigration status, international students at the University of Denver must hold an immigration status granted by the U.S. federal government which allows study in the United States. Most students enroll at the University of Denver in F-1 or J-1 immigration status, although other statuses may also permit students to study in the United States.

When an international applicant who requires an F or J visa has been admitted to the University of Denver, for an I-20 or DS-2019 to be issued, the student must submit some combination of the documents listed below, as outlined on their Application Status Page. Students admitted to 100% online programs are not eligible for I-20 or DS-2019 issuance.

  • Copy of biographical page of passport
  • If applicable, copy of dependent(s) biographical page of passport
  • DU Financial Verification form
  • Bank statement or Certificate of Deposit with sufficient funds for the estimated cost of attendance for one academic year (unless program is shorter) as listed by the Office of Financial Aid
  • If applicable, student financial guarantee (FGL) letter from the sponsoring agency/government office

Photocopies or scans of the above documents are accepted. These requirements do not apply to U.S. permanent residents or students not in F-1 or J-1 immigration status. International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) reviews all documents submitted and determines if an admitted student qualifies for an I-20 or DS-2019.

It is the responsibility of an admitted student who has been issued an I-20 or DS-2019 to apply for a visa at a United States embassy and enter the U.S., transfer their F-1 SEVIS record to DU or apply for a change of status to F-1 with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.  For more information or to schedule an appointment with an international student advisor, visit https://www.du.edu/isss/. Questions can be directed to isss@du.edu. 

Back to Top