2019-2020 Undergraduate Bulletin

Academic Standards and Grading

Academic Standards

University Good Standing

A student in good standing has met academic standards and University financial and behavioral obligations. A student in academic good standing has earned a number of grade points equal to at least twice the number of quarter hours attempted (i.e., has a 2.0 GPA). Registration can be denied to any student not in good standing. Transcripts, certificates and diplomas are withheld until financial obligations are met.

Warning, Probation and Suspension

Each quarter the Academic Standards Committee, com­posed of University faculty, reviews the records of students not making satisfactory progress toward graduation. The committee decides on the academic status of these students. A student with a GPA between 2.2 and 2.0 is placed on academic warning while remaining in academic good standing with the University. A student with a GPA below 2.0 is no longer in academic good standing and is placed on academic probation or may be suspended or dismissed from the University. Students not in academic good standing are notified at the end of each quarter by U.S. mail and the student’s preferred email address.

A student on academic probation may continue enrollment only under certain conditions set by the University and the appropriate academic unit. A student on academic probation is expected to meet with an advisor in the Center for Academic and Career Development on a regular basis. The student is ineligible to represent the University in intercollegiate activities.

An academically suspended student who wishes to re-­enroll must apply for re-entry to the University and must also apply to the chair of the Academic Standards Committee at least six weeks before the quarter in which the student wishes to enroll. The University does not accept courses completed at another institution while the student is under academic or disciplinary suspension. A student who is dismissed may not enroll again at the University of Denver.

University Grading System

Instructors are required to assign a final grade for each student registered in a course. The following grades are used to report the quality of a student’s work at the University of Denver:

Grade Symbols Grade Points Interpretation
A 4 excellent
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3 good
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2 satisfactory
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7 minimum passing
F 0 failure

If a student ceases attending classes or submitting assignments (and has not earned a passing grade) and if the student has not made arrangements for an incomplete (I), a failing (F) grade must be assigned.

Failing (“F”) grades may also be assigned under the following circumstances:

  • A student drops a course without permission and/or official notice to the Office of the Registrar.
  • A student’s academic work is judged failing as a result of a finding of academic dishonesty.

If a student registers for a class but never attends any sessions, then a grade of Never-Attend ("NA") should be assigned instead of a failing (F) grade.  A never-attend (NA) grade is treated like a failing (F) grade and will show up as such on a student's transcript.

An incomplete (“I”) is a temporary grade that may be given to a student at the instructor’s discretion when illness, necessary absence or other reasons beyond the control of the student prevent completion of course requirements by the end of the academic term. Incomplete grades may only be given in the following circumstances:

  • The student’s work to date is passing.
  • Attendance has been satisfactory through at least 60 percent of the term.
  • An illness or other extenuating circumstance legitimately prevents completion of required work by the due date.
  • Required work may reasonably be completed in an agreed­ upon time frame.
  • The incomplete is not given as a substitute for a failing grade.
  • The incomplete is not based solely on a student’s failure to complete work or as a means of raising his or her grade by doing additional work after the grade report time.
  • The student initiates the request for an incomplete grade before the end of the academic term.

Appropriate grades must be assigned in other circum­stances. A failing grade and last date of attendance should be recorded for students who cease attending class without authorization. Students who are unable to complete a course and who do not meet these circumstances should consider dropping the course.

The following provisions for incomplete grades apply:

  • The instructor submits the final grade using the Change of Grade Process through PioneerWeb. Steps for this process can be found at http://www.du.edu/registrar/records/changinggrades.html.
  • It is in the student’s best interest that incomplete grades be made up by the end of the following academic term. Incomplete grades must be made up and final grades submitted within one calendar year from the date the incomplete was recorded.  
  • The course work may be completed while the student is not enrolled.
  • Incomplete grades appear on the transcript for one year. Incomplete grades do not affect the grade point average. After one year, or at the time of graduation, incomplete grades will change to “F” and affect GPA. This policy affects incomplete grades given in fall 1995 and there­after. Prior to 1995, unchanged incompletes remained on the permanent record as part of hours attempted and were calculated as a failing (“F”) grade in the GPA.
  • An incomplete grade may not be considered passing for purposes of determining academic standing, federal financial aid eligibility, athletic eligibility or other purposes.
  • Notation of the original incomplete status of the grade remains on the student’s transcript along with the final grade.
  • An incomplete should not be assigned when it is neces­sary for the student to attend additional class meetings to complete the course requirements. Students who receive an incomplete grade in a course must not register again for the course in order to remove the “I.”
  • An incomplete is not to be assigned where the normal practice requires extension of course requirements beyond the close of a term (e.g., thesis or project­ type courses).

NC: registered for no credit

W: a notation that the course is withdrawn without preju­dice; zero grade points per quarter hour; no hours credited

Use of intermediate grades (plus and minus) is at the dis­cretion of the instructor.

See Grade Appeals for more information.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

The GPA is determined by multiplying the credit points (for example, “B+” = 3.3) by the number of credit hours for each course. Total the credit hours attempted, total the credit points and divide the latter by the former. Grades of “NC,” “I” and “W” are not included in the GPA. Incom­pletes that are not completed within one year are calculated as an “F” in the GPA. All grades for repeated courses are included in determining GPA. Undergraduate, graduate and specific program GPAs may be calculated separately.


In general, undergraduates may not take a course for pass/fail credit.

Change of Grade

Grades submitted by instructors at the end of the quarter are final and not subject to change by reason of revision of judgment on the part of the instructor. Grades cannot be changed on the basis of second trial, such as a new examination or additional work undertaken or completed after the grade report has been submitted to the Office of the Registrar. Grades my only be changed due to one of the following:

 1.   Correction of Error in Grading

 2.   Grade Appeal

An instructor of a course is the only individual who can change a grade. In the event of error, the faculty member should initiate the Change of Grade Process through PioneerWeb. Steps for this process can be found at http://www.du.edu/registrar/records/changinggrades.html. Any correction or appeal of a grade must take place in the quarter following the one in which the grade was given.

Back to Top