2023-2024 Graduate Bulletin

University Grading System

University Grading System

Instructors are required to assign a final grade for each student registered in a course. The following grades are used to report the quality of a student’s work at the University of Denver:

Grade Symbols Grade Points Interpretation
A 4 excellent
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3 good
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2 satisfactory
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7 minimum passing
F 0 failure

If a student ceases attending classes or submitting assignments (and has not earned a passing grade) and if the student has not made arrangements for an incomplete (I), a failing (F) grade must be assigned.

Failing (“F”) grades may also be assigned under the following circumstances:

  • A student drops a course without permission and/or official notice to the Office of the Registrar.
  • A student’s academic work is judged failing as a result of a finding of academic dishonesty.

If a student registers for a class but never attends any sessions, then a grade of Never-Attend ("NA") should be assigned instead of a failing (F) grade.  A never-attend (NA) grade is treated like a failing (F) grade and will show up as an NA on the student's transcript.

An incomplete (“I”) is a temporary grade that may be given to a student at the instructor’s discretion when illness, necessary absence or other reasons beyond the control of the student prevent completion of course requirements by the end of the academic term. Incomplete grades may only be given in the following circumstances:

  • The student’s work to date is passing.
  • Attendance has been satisfactory through at least 60 percent of the term.
  • An illness or other extenuating circumstance legitimately prevents completion of required work by the due date.
  • Required work may reasonably be completed in an agreed­ upon time frame.
  • The incomplete is not given as a substitute for a failing grade.
  • The incomplete is not based solely on a student’s failure to complete work or as a means of raising his or her grade by doing additional work after the grade report time.
  • The student initiates the request for an incomplete grade before the end of the academic term.

Appropriate grades must be assigned in other circum­stances. A failing grade and last date of attendance should be recorded for students who cease attending class without authorization. Students who are unable to complete a course and who do not meet these circumstances should consider dropping the course.

The following provisions for incomplete grades apply:

  • Instructors are to record the incomplete initially in MyDU under the Grade Entry page. When the student's work has been completed, the instructor then submits the final grade using the Change of Grade Process through MyDU. Steps for this process can be found at http://www.du.edu/registrar/records/changinggrades.html.
  • It is in the student’s best interest that incomplete grades be made up by the end of the following academic term. Incomplete grades must be made up and final grades submitted within one calendar year from the date the incomplete was recorded.  
  • The course work may be completed while the student is not enrolled.
  • Incomplete grades appear on the transcript for one year. Incomplete grades do not affect the grade point average. After one year, or at the time of graduation, incomplete grades will change to “F” and affect GPA. This policy affects incomplete grades given in fall 1995 and there­after. Prior to 1995, unchanged incompletes remained on the permanent record as part of hours attempted and were calculated as a failing (“F”) grade in the GPA.
  • An incomplete grade may not be considered passing for purposes of determining academic standing, federal financial aid eligibility, athletic eligibility or other purposes.
  • Notation of the original incomplete status of the grade remains on the student’s transcript along with the final grade.
  • An incomplete should not be assigned when it is neces­sary for the student to attend additional class meetings to complete the course requirements. Students who receive an incomplete grade in a course must not register again for the course in order to remove the “I.”
  • An incomplete is not to be assigned where the normal practice requires extension of course requirements beyond the close of a term (e.g., thesis or project­ type courses).

NC: registered for no credit

W: a notation that the course is withdrawn without preju­dice; zero grade points per quarter hour; no hours credited

Use of intermediate grades (plus and minus) is at the dis­cretion of the instructor.

See Grade Appeals for more information.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

The GPA is determined by multiplying the credit points (for example, “B+” = 3.3) by the number of credit hours for each course. Total the credit hours attempted, total the credit points and divide the latter by the former. Grades of NC, I, P+, P, NP and W are not included in the GPA. Incom­pletes that are not completed within one year are calculated as an “F” in the GPA. All grades for repeated courses are included in determining GPA. Undergraduate, graduate and specific program GPAs may be calculated separately.


In general, undergraduates may not take a course for pass/fail credit.

Change of Grade

Grades submitted by instructors at the end of the quarter are final and not subject to change by reason of revision of judgment on the part of the instructor. Grades cannot be changed on the basis of second trial, such as a new examination or additional work undertaken or completed after the grade report has been submitted to the Office of the Registrar. Grades my only be changed due to one of the following:

 1.   Correction of Error in Grading

 2.   Grade Appeal

 3.   Completion of an Incomplete Grade

An instructor of a course is the only individual who can change a grade. In the event of error, the faculty member should initiate the Change of Grade Process through MyDU. Steps for this process can be found at https://www.du.edu/registrar/faculty-staff-resources/grading-guide. Any correction or appeal of a grade must take place in the quarter following the one in which the grade was given.

Reporting Grades

Never Attended

Failing Grades

Withdrawal (W)

IP, NR and Incomplete Marks

Last Date of Attendance

Non-Passing Grades

Grade Reports

Incomplete Grades

Back to Top