Bachelor of Music (BM)
Total Credits Required for the BM: 194
|Writing and Rhetoric||8|
|Language (or option of Scientific Inquiry: Natural and Physical World)||8|
|Analytical Inquiry: The Natural and Physical World||4|
|Analytical Inquiry: Society and Culture||8|
|Scientific Inquiry: The Natural and Physical World (or option of Language)||8|
|Scentific Inquiry: Society and Culture||8|
|See department for specific courses.||128-132|
|A minor is not required for the degree but may be completed if desired.|
|Electives may be music or non-music courses.||18-22|
Specific status sheets for the various BM programs may be obtained from the Lamont School of Music.
Music Performance Requirements
All music majors must attend all scheduled Convocations per quarter.
All BM students must pass a sophomore proficiency exam to continue the BM degree in the junior year.
BM in Jazz Studies and Commercial Music and BM in Performance students must present recitals for the completion of the degree. The specific requirements are as follows:
- bachelor of music, concentration in piano—half recital in sophomore year, full recital in junior year, full recital in senior year
- bachelor of music, all other emphases—half recital in junior year, full recital in senior year
Piano Proficiency Examination
All bachelor of music students must pass all piano proficiency requirements as designated for their degree by the end of sophomore year. This is not required for piano concentration students.
Major and Minor Requirements
- The GPA in the major and the minor must be at least 2.0 with the exception of the bachelor of science in accounting which requires a GPA of at least 2.5.
- Credits in the major and the minor must be earned at the level of “C–” or better.
- At least 50 percent of the required credits for the major and the minor must be completed at the University of Denver.
Visit the Degree and Program of Study section of this bulletin for information on major and minor programs of study available with the bachelor of music degree.
Upper Division Requirement
- Of the total credits required for the degree, at least 75 must be upper-division courses at the 2000- or 3000-level.
Degree GPA Requirement
- Students must earn a minimum GPA of 2.0 with the exception of the bachelor of science in accounting which requires a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- The last 45 credits earned prior to granting a degree must be completed at the University of Denver apart from approved study abroad participation.