2018-2019 Graduate Bulletin


A student will be recommended for termination from his/her graduate program for the following reasons:

  • the student maintains a GPA lower than 3.0 (2.7 for Law Master's, 2.3 for Law JD) for three consecutive quarters (two semesters)
  • if it is numerically impossible for the student to raise the GPA to 3.0 (2.7 for Law Master's, 2.3 for Law JD), or if in the opinion of the student’s advisor, department chair and/or dean, the student is not making academic progress to finish the requirements of the degree
  • a department can document that a student will not be returning
  • the time limit for completing provisions has expired
  • the time limit for completion for the degree has expired
  • the request for an extension of time has been denied
  • the student wishes to change to another degree program outside of the college, school, or department in which the student is currently enrolled
  • severe academic or behavioral misconduct
  • violation of the Honor Code

If the student chooses to reapply to a program after being terminated, the time limit to complete the degree may not automatically be reset, and there is no guarantee a student will be readmitted, even if the student reapplies.

Notes: Some programs may have more stringent policies. Contact the unit for details.

Requirements and procedures for termination for Sturm College of Law students may be different. Students should consult the unit for appropriate procedures.

Back to Top