Academic Exceptions Policy

Academic policies define institutional standards and ensure equitable treatment of all students. All students are expected to observe the academic policies and practices of the University set forth in the University Bulletin. However, in instances of documented extraordinary circumstances, a student may request an exception to a policy or practice.

The Academic Exceptions Committee is a standing subcommittee of the Undergraduate & Graduate Councils which represents the Councils’ interests as advisory to the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs. As chair of the Committee, the Vice Provost appoints its members and ensures that the Committee is representative of appropriate academic and administrative units. Decisions of the Committee are final.


The Academic Exceptions Committee considers requests for exceptions to University-wide academic policies affecting students. This is an academic committee that cannot take considerations of convenience, financial cost, or academic standing into the decision.

Exceptions should be submitted within one calendar year after the completion of the quarter in question and prior to a student’s degree being certified and posted to the transcript.  Any exceptions that do not meet this expectation should include a rationale for why the request was not made within the appropriate timeframe.

Required Documentation

A valid petition includes, at minimum, the official online request submission through MyDU, written documentation from the student and supporting documentation, as appropriate for the petition type. Additional documentation may be required. Documentation may be emailed to academicexceptions@du.edu or faxed to 303-871-4566.  It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all documents are submitted in a timely fashion.

The Vice Provost for Academic Affairs or designee has final determination as to whether the documentation the student has submitted is sufficient.

Petition Review and Status

  • It is the responsibility of the students to check the status of their petitions and respond to requests by the Committee representative.
  • The student will be notified (via MyDU) of the decision within one week of when the request was reviewed.
  • A student has 45 days from the initial submission to complete the petition. If, at the end of 45 days there are still outstanding documents, the petition will be cancelled, and the student will need to resubmit a new petition.
  • A student may re-petition if there is new documentation that was not reasonably available at the time of the initial decision.